Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Imagined pain..

I casually mentioned imagined pain, because it seemed like a good adjective to add to the list:D

However, sometimes pain can really be imagined. I think we've discussed this before(off Beebly). This is because our brain relies on 'maps'. Our brain has to perform so many complex tasks and commands every second! Therefore, sometimes in order to save time(sorry for my lousy choice of expression, but I am only a secondary expert:D) our brain saves the path that it had used to send a certain message through the nerves. And in future, when we need to perform that same action, it simply retrieves the old map. An example would be the reflexive action when something is about to fall down to ground and we immediately rush to save it. We can act so quickly because our brain is using the old map, hence it can quickly command us.

Unfortunately, this backfires at times. Because our brain is relying on old maps, that means that sometimes even when tissues have healed and we are no longer injured, it continues to send the 'pain message' to that part of the body and we continue to experience pain. This in my opinion can be called "imagined pain", because we imagine that we are experiencing pain, although the injury/wound/tissue are healed.

This map thingie was a bit complex for me to understand initially. And I am not sure if I have explained it rationally enough. Hey, this is second hand information, and I don't claim to be any more informed than your average quack. (Talking about quacks, I suddenly remembered an interesting anecdote about the resident quack back in gaon..but that is a story that needs to be told separately).

To be honest, when I wrote imagined pain I was thinking about schizophrenics or people suffering from other psychiatric and psychological illnesses. Sometimes, for several, apparently inexplicable reasons, our brain and or mind leads us to believe that we are experiencing pain. Even when there is nothing wrong with us. By the same token, sometimes people with really serious conditions do not seem to be feeling any pain even when they are severely injured physically. For example , someone banging his/her head against the wall while suffering from a maniac fit. This is the polar opposite of imagined pain.

More later provided if I recall anything else(-:

P.S. My finger has been hurting so much since morning. I need a distraction.

4 comments:

Abu Ayenab said...

Thanks a lot :)

Arimas said...

You are welcome(-:

Mamu Ayenab said...

I am agree

Arimas said...

I think your agreement comes too late.My finger has already begun to heal.

Post a Comment