Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Glassful of Beer

There's a glassful of beer in front of me, but I cannot bring myself to drink it. It's got nothing to do with religious/moral scruples(it's non-alcoholic!) but I just hate the very sight and smell of it. Then why am I contemplating it?

I fasted on day 1 of Ramadan but was miserable by the afternoon, thanks to my kidney which couldn't have picked a worst time to 'act up'. So I am not fasting any longer, at least not till this dratted kidney cures, or else I know not what I shall do with it.

My father and brother as soon as they learnt that I had a kidney stone instantly recommended beer! And when I turn my nose they quickly add, 'oh, but we mean the non-alcoholic beer'. Then they would go and tell me how my cousin had kidney stoned and he drank lots of (non-alcoholic) beer, and was cured within a month and so on and so forth.

I hate the taste of beer.Plus, it's just the name which puts me off, even though I know there's no alcohol, the very word 'beer' makes me want to puke. It reminds me of all the negative things associated with the term, and how the very mention of the beverage makes me disgusted even in fictional stories.Haye Allah.

No comments:

Post a Comment