Saturday, December 12, 2009

Communication 'Block'

I have become a bad communicator. I don't always reply to emails/text messages. Cannot remember the last time I wrote a letter. Normally I don't call people that frequently, and occasionally I don't pick up my phone or return calls.

There was a time when I would not only remember every one's birthday, but would actually go to the trouble of going to the bookstore and buy nice greeting cards, be patient enough to write personal messages on each one of them, and pester my brothers to post them well before time. Don't know how and when it stopped. One day, I switched to e-greetings. Finding electronic cards wasn't easy either. I had to browse various categories on at least half a dozen sites before I could decide on a card. Then I would make sure it reached on the precise day. And would actually call everyone on their birthdays, on Eids, on special occasions and what not.

But I have stopped doing all of that. It's not that I forget birthdays, or I forget that I haven't replied to an email, or to text someone, or that I have to return a call. I miss people a lot, think of them often and still I refuse to pick up the phone and dial their number; to take paper and pen and write a letter, or even hit the reply button and send an email.

It's not that I don't have anything to say any longer, on the contrary my head is teeming with so many thoughts and ideas. But something has gone wrong with me. I don't want to do any of that any more. Funnily enough, I check my emails religiously. I save my letters and text messages and re-read them frequently.

What has gone wrong with me!!

P.S. I had unofficially abandoned my blog, but I think it's time to return. Time to shed the 'garb of silence' and start 'chirping' once again.

2 comments:

Saba F. Kamran said...

Woww.. I feel as if i can connect to this... At one point i complain that i don't know where my friends are and then when they call me up, i just want to hang up asap.. It's always a hassle for me to reply to texts and emails but yet i check them every few hours..

Its like you want to talk n meet people but when that actually happens tou we don't want it! It's crazy, nothing else! :P

Although if one wants to write blogs and meet people in his/her neighborhood, i found this cool place called yellO.pk..

here's the link.. http://yello.pk

Arimas said...

You are right Saba. I think it's possibly because we are always thinking 'oh, communication is so easy now, I can just reply any time, it won't take long'. At least that's how it happens with me, until days and weeks pass by and I realize that there are people I haven't been in touch with for a long while.

Post a Comment