Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Last Day of 2009

It's the end of year again. A time when people usually take stock of the last year, make plans and resolutions about the new year and create top ten or top five or top whatever list of the best and the worst. There is something about the last day of the year which makes us all suddenly conscious of all that has been done or should have been done, and then we suddenly resolve to attain it next year. It's not as if suddenly you are going to be a better, more organized person, but there is something about the last day, isn't it?

It seems that when we were younger, time used to pass more slowly. Now it flies! Though perhaps the passage of time hasn't changed at all, and only our perception of it has changed. Perhaps now we have more activities that fill our time, and hence we always complain about not having enough time to do this, that or the other.

I too had meant to make resolutions for the new year, not necessarily because I mean to adhere to them, but because one is supposed to do that. And they are supposed to help you in becoming a better person. Also, sticking with the 'tradition', I too had meant to compile many lists. Best things that happened to me in 2009, worst points of 2009, a list of places I had been to, another of places I mean to go to in the coming year; a list of best events that I had attended in this year, and those that I had missed and what not. You know such trivialities that we are used to associate with this time of year.

However, I will no longer be able to do any of that. I heard about the death of a very, very young family friend. She passed away last night in a tragic road accident, sadly a very common way of dying in the UAE. Her sister was driving the car, wonder how much harder it will be for her to live with the memory, though it's no fault of her. I haven't even met them in a long time, and when my sister told me about her death, I had to rummage in my memory for a few secs to remember which one of the ten sisters, and then suddenly her lovely face flashed in my mind. And also a dim memory of an affectionate letter she wrote to me a few years ago. Somehow the fact that she was merely 17 odd years old makes it even more shocking and sad. Such is life!

May her soul rest in peace. Ameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment